I love me a good tostada.
I started making these crispy Mexican inspired snacks when I was on a diet but now I like them so much they’ve become a staple in my weekly meal plans.
This is another recipe that’s super easy to ‘accessorize’ and change up once you know how to make the base. I usually make them vegetarian ’cause that’s just what I have lying around but I’ll share a few different topping ideas to help you get inspired.
Let’s get started!
Hard taco shells – two or three shells per person, snapped in half and laid flat
1 can refried beans
1 can or bag of frozen corn
Salsa or hot sauce
Shredded cheese (optional)
Chopped fresh veggies like arugula, red onion, or avocado (optional)
Shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken (optional)
These super easy tostadas take almost no time at all to make and enjoy. Simply follow these steps to assemble and heat them up in the microwave and you’ll be chowing down in no time.
- Lay your taco shells flat on the plate
- Spread refried beans over them as thick or as thin as you like
- Sprinkle corn kernels on top (if you’re using frozen kernels, there’s no need to thaw them before this step)
- Top with hot sauce and chicken or shredded cheese if desired
- Microwave for one to two minutes (until hot)
- Add the cold toppings like onion, arugula, and salsa
Cook This Easy Tostada Recipe in Your Microwave
I’d like to take this moment to formally apologize to any Mexican who’s reading this easy tostada recipe and offended by my super lazy microwave version of it.
But the truth is, this easy tostada recipe is pretty damn good, filling, cheap, and so quick to make I just can’t help myself from throwing one together for lunch every now and then. Once you try them out, I’m pretty confident you’ll feel the same way.