Playa Esmeralda is the Most Underrated Beach in Playa del Carmen
Playa Esmeralda is the best beach in Playa del Carmen. There, I said it. I really mean it too. I’m spending one month in the small beachside town in Mexico, and during that time Playa Esmeralda (also known as Playa 88) has become my daily haunt. Here are all the reasons why Playa Esmeralda is the best and most underrated beach in Playa del Carmen.
1. It’s the perfect mix of lively, but not too crowded. Empty beaches are depressing, and crowded beaches are annoying. This one hits the sweet spot.
2. Playa Esmeralda is in a great location for backpackers. If you’re like me and can’t afford to stay in the heart of Playa del Carmen, you can still be super close to this beach! One main entrance is located on Calle 88 (just for reference, the main drag of downtown is between Calle 2 and Calle 40) so if you live on the “outskirts” of town, you will still be in walking distance to the pristine Playa Esmeralda.
3. It has it’s own private fresh water cenote to hang out in.
4. It has so much greenery. On most of the other beaches in Playa del Carmen, you have giant buildings and resorts spread out behind you. At Playa Esmeralda that’s not the case. The white sand beach is between ocean on one side and lush green plants and palm trees on the other. Although the Paradisus Resort runs along it, it’s hidden so far back from the beach you can barely even see it.
5.. You can swim in places without any rocks underfoot, and the shallow water near the cenote stretches out super far.
6. Playa Esmeralda features one of the most unique restaurants in Playa del Carmen – a locally owned Seafood Truck and Tiki Bar secluded in its own little paradise. You can even rent a sun bed here and relax under shaded palms with the most beautiful ocean view.
If these reasons aren’t enough to convince you, then hopefully the photos will. Playa Esmeralda is the perfect place to spend a couple hours in paradise, and enjoy all the beauty that Mexico has to offer!
Have you been here? If so, comment below and let me know what you think of Playa Esmeralda 🙂
All my love,
Sign Up Today To Get Our FREE Guide To Finding A Remote Job
You'll also receive regular updates and tips from Slight North to help you get more out of your travel experiences!
We respect your privacy and will never spam your inbox or sell your information to other companies.
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Check Out These Related Posts!
How to get to Cumbres del Ajusco National Park, where to hike, what to eat, and everything you need to enjoy your day in this beautiful slice of nature outside Mexico City!
My favorite evening activities in Mexico City. This list is perfect for digital nomads looking for destinations to see and things to do on weekdays after work.
The complete guide to craft beer in Mexico City. Find breweries, bars, tours, festivals, and more so you can experience the up and coming and awesome world of craft beer in Mexico City!