Why You Need to Visit Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
The short answer is because it’s amazing. The long answer is below…
Colorado’s Garden of the Gods is a free city park outside of the city of Colorado Springs. If you are based in Denver on your trip, the Garden of the Gods is only a short drive away. Like Boulder and Rocky Mountain National Park, the destination makes for an easy day trip.
The park is called the Garden of the Gods because the surveyor who discovered it thought it would make a great place for a beer garden (it really would tho). His partner disagreed, and stated that if it was a beer garden, it would be a garden fit for the Gods, and that’s how its name came about. The park was actually kept as private property for years, until 1909 when the owner died and donated his land to the city of Colorado Springs. Now, it’s one of Colorado’s most beautiful features, and an awesome day trip from Denver.
Reasons to Visit Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- It’s FREE
- It’s unique and one of a kind
- It’s a beautiful place to hike and climb
- It’s less than an hour and a half drive from Denver
- It’s open late, so it’s a perfect place to watch the sunset or enjoy a nighttime picnic
- Inside the park, you can also visit the “Balancing Rock” and “Siamese Twins” formations
- It’s close to Colorado Springs, so you can visit the city for dinner and drinks after you trip
- Pikes Peak, on of the highest peaks in the Rocky Mountain range, is only an hour drive from Garden of the Gods, making it the perfect second spot to combine with your day trip.
Daniel and I had an amazing day trip to Colorado’s Garden of the Gods during our November honeymoon. If you’re in the Denver area, don’t miss this beautiful and unique city park!
Check Out Our Latest Posts!
The most unique restaurants in Playa del Carmen! Rooftop pools, beachside food trucks, and romantic jungle and underground retreats are all on the list.
After exploring Playa del Carmen, I can safely say Playa Esmeralda (also known as Playa 88) is definitely the most beautiful and underrated beach in this small Mexican town.
Looking for a boat cruise from Playa del Carmen? Read about my awesome day trip with Catamaya Sailing and the price, length, snorkeling, crew & more!